Friday, July 23, 2004

Bush wasn't paid = Bush didn't serve

This has been a fast-developing story (for late on the Friday afternoon before the Democratic National Convention), but I appreciate Bob's not taking me up on the offer in my previous post.

I was thinking that if the Pentagon found the documents, that must mean W actually did get paid. But Bob has the better angle: They don't show W getting paid, and that's why they're being released now.

Now, I have as little faith in our national media as the next citizen, but I can't believe we won't see continuing coverage of this story throughout next week. How is W going to respond to this? How is McClellan? There is really no spin that they can give this - it is a given at this point that W did not serve a day of Guard duty in Alabama during that famous summer of '72. They will have to fall back to the next level of defense: That in spite of not serving a day of duty during that summer, W still managed to "fulfill his obligations."

No comments: