Thursday, February 19, 2004

The most exciting thing in the world today

The confrontation between reformers and the Islamist government in Iran is high drama, where the stakes are enormous, the politics are in the street, and democracy is the call word of reformists.

I'd like to think I'm on the same side as these reformists -- but the fact is I've never pushed a demonstration in the teeth of harsh oppression in my life. These people are the vanguard of democracy in the world -- fighting the true fight against tyrannical oppression, regardless of what words are used to describe and legitimize it, where the threats to their livelihoods and lives are real. But what have I done to help them? It is they who are helping me, being the vanguard against tyranny.
Here's the NYTimes article which describes the political attacks and counter attacks prior to tommorrows farcical "elections".

No comments: