Friday, October 10, 2003

Go with it.

For those of you sick of your cell phone company, number portability is set to take place beginning November 24.

Number portability is the ability to keep your cell phone number when you switch carriers. The wireless companies fought the new FTC rule in court until this spring, when they saw the writing on the wall, and just gave in.

Now, when your contract's up, you can pick up your number and leave to greener pastures. For me, I've had a few $100 surprises on my bill --- and when those happen, I'm tempted to pay the $150 penalty for breaking the contract early and going elsewhere. I've been stopped by wanting to keep my number the same. No more.

It remains to be seen if the cell phone companies charge an exhorbitant "number portability" fee, too.

No comments: