Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Bob Reviews Voice over IP (VoIP): Vonage

By now, you all have my new number (510-868-1639) -- but you're possibly wondering "Hey, what's with the Bay Area area code when you live in Pasadena? Is it cellular? And aren't you moving to Montreal in 2 months? Why a new phone, in the wrong area code, just before you leave the country?"

Answer: my phone is part of the newest, hottest trend in telephony: voice-over-IP by Vonage, which uses your fast internet connection (DSL or cable modem at home, or your screaming T1 line at work). This is a telephone which uses the internet to send the voice signal. You pick a phone number ANYWHERE in the USA, and Vonage sends you a little box, about the size of my hand. You plug that box into your Ethernet, and then plug a phone into the box (any phone -- I had to go out and buy one since I only had a cell before), and voila! you have a working telephone.

Big phreaking deal, you say, I have that already with my local land line. Ah, but:


  1. You can pick a local phone number anywhere in the US, so that people can call it, and it is a local call for THEM, even though you are far away.
  2. The box is an internet device. That means, you can take it with you (say, to Canada, like I will do in 2 months), plug it in, and it's like I'm in Pasadena -- works just fine! So, you'll be able to call me in Canada -- or, Bulgaria if I should travel there -- at this number.
  3. Charges? Vonage just reduced their rates, to $25/month for unlimited local calling and 500 min long distance in US and Canada; or $35 for unlimited long distance in the US and Canada. Their long distance rates are very low (4 c/min to Austrailia?)


And really cool things about it:

  1. For $5/month, I can add an additional phone number to map to my phone. So, you can also call me at (202-448-8931), and I'll pick up. After I move to Canada, I'll add a 626 number as well. The easier for my friends to call me.
  2. Yes, yes, caller-ID works.
  3. Voice mail: check it, people call my vonage number, it rings for 15 seconds (and you have control over how many seconds), it then forwards to my cell phone (in case I'm not home) which rings for 5 seconds. Then, the phone will transfer to my Vonage voice mail. You leave a message, and then Vonage sends me an email with the number you just called from (via caller ID).
  4. Oh, and that voicemail? I log in to my vonage account on the web, and I can hear it in streaming audio. Or, they can send it as an attached audio file in the email they sent me.


How's the sound quality? Outstanding.

What are the downsides? Well, for 911 calling, you have to tell vonage where you are when you plug in your phone -- they can't just figure it out (if you plug in your phone and leave it there, say at home, then the one-time registration is a snap). And, if your power goes out at home, your cable modem and vonage box will not function (generally, local phones work during power outages).

Bob gives it two thumbs up.

No comments: