Saturday, June 04, 2005

The End Of The Free Credit Report?

Remember how excited we all were when Congress passed a law requiring Equifax, Experian and Trans Union to provide a free credit report to all consumers who request one, once yearly? The FTC required they set up
a website

www.annualcreditreport.com
where they would accept those requests. Well, go to that link now, and it's a dead link. The FTC thinks that link should be live and functioning. Of course, maybe you could call the number the FTC gives which goes to the same group: 877-322-8228, and sure enough, a computer recording answers. They give you two options: If you are calling from your home phone, press 1; if you are calling from another phone, press 2. So, I pressed 1 (calling from my home phone), and the response "Thank you for calling Annual Credit Report. Goodbye." and they hung up. So I called back, and pressed 2. They ask me to enter my home phone number (which I did) and the response was "Thank you for calling Annual Credit Report. Goodbye." and they hung up.

So, it looks like the credit reporting companies have decided not to provide that service anymore.

Isn't that illegal?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's all well and good, but I live in Canada. I *used* to live in California. Is this to mean that it's impossible for me to check my credit report because my IP and my home phone don't map to California? Ridiculous! Why should I not be able to get to my credit report, simply because I'm a permanent resident outside the country!

It smaks of BOLSHEVISM! Or something.