Monday, March 21, 2005

Schiavo on the Town


schiavo poker
Originally uploaded by rerutled.
Some have asked me -- "Hey, I've heard Terri Schiavo is in a persistent vegetative state, and that that is why 19 different judges in Florida, who have seen this case, have permitted her express wishes during life to be fulfilled, which is to have her feeding tube removed. So, why do you write that she was out playing tennis this morning?"

Well, her mother and father have repeatedly accented their daughters activity, making it seem, by their descriptions, as if she were conscious and active. For example, her mother has recently said, "We laugh together, we cry together," when in fact, Ms. Schiavo has no brain funtions whatsoever, and so cannot laugh or cry. Her father, just this morning, said in response to Tom DeLay's political mongering -- I mean, life-saving legislation -- that, "I got a big smile out of her. So help me God."

So, I thought I'd help them out a little bit by helping to round out the image of Ms. Schiavo as an active, conscious, engaged person leading a fulfilling lifestyle. For example, here's a picture I found of Terri Schiavo out on poker night.

No comments: